As marketing and public relations professionals (or someone that may wear this hat), it is extremely important that you increase your business literacy. In order to have a stellar marketing and communication plan, it is necessary to have an in depth understanding of the business.
Here are a few suggestions on what you can do to learn more about the business that you are in:
1. Understand the hierarchy. Who reports to whom and who makes what decisions.
2. How does your organization make a profit? Which products or services have the largest profit margin?
3. What is the length of time it takes to turn a profit in your organization?
4. What are the short and long term goals of your company?
5. How can you add value to the organization?